2023 Prayer & Fasting
“Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14)
If ever there was a time when we needed God to forgive our sins and restore our land, it’s now. But as the scripture says, we need to humble ourselves. We need to pray. We need to seek His face and repent of our ungodly ways. In other words, we need to get right with God and seek Him in a real and serious way. That’s why from January 8-22, the people of Celebration Church will be participating in 14 days of prayer and fasting. To help us through this, we’ll have prayer and fasting guides, daily devotions, and prayer partners ready. You can request them below.
What Is Fasting
Fasting is a powerful spiritual discipline through which the Holy Spirit can transform lives. Most often, it is when someone abstains from food or certain foods for a period of time. Sometimes, people abstain from activities like social media or video games.
Why Should We Fast?
Fasting is biblical as seen in the lives of Moses, David, Daniel, and Jesus. It humbles us in the sight of God and can strengthen our personal times with Him. When we fast, the Holy Spirit works in our lives, enabling us to better hear from the Lord.
How To Participate In Prayer and Fasting
- Ask God to guide you as you pray and fast.
- Confess any sins that come to mind.
- Make a list of prayer requests for the community, church, others, and yourself.
- Decide what type of fast you will follow.
- Complete Fasts: Abstain from all foods for a period of time.
- Partial Fasts: Abstain from all or certain foods on a varied periods of time
- Alternative Fasts: Abstain from activities or pleasures for a period of time.
- Health Notice: If you have health concerns, follow your doctor’s advice and proceed cautiously.
- Sign Up to Receive the STEPS TO SUCCESS Daily Devotions by clicking here.
- Schedule daily prayer times throughout the fast. As you pray, worship and adore the Lord through scripture, singing, or silence. Thank Him for what He has done, admit your need for Him, and confess your sins to Him. Finally, pray for every item on your prayer list, thanking God for what He will do in each situation.
- Connect with a prayer partner with whom you can dialogue about your prayer and fasting efforts. Click here to sign up for a prayer partner.
How To Lead Your Family Through The Emphasis
- Have a family meeting where you pray about the prayer and fasting emphasis.
- Just like above, make a list of prayer requests for your community, the church, for others, and for your family.
- Use the instructions above regarding types of fasting, allowing each family member to decide on how and when they will fast and pray.
- Meet daily for family prayer, sharing new prayer requests and praise reports about how God has been working in your lives.
- Plan a celebration meal at the end of our 14 days of prayer and fasting, sharing with each other about how God has worked in your lives during the emphasis.
Sun, Jan 8th – Pray for yourself and others who will be praying and fasting during this emphasis. Pray for God to work in our city, our church, in the lives of your friends and family, and in your own life.
Mon, Jan 9th – Pray for local, national, and international missionaries.
Tues, Jan 10th – Pray for the children of our church, for their parents, and for our Kidztown and Midpoint pastors, leaders, and volunteers.
Wed, Jan 11th – Pray for an end to murder and violent crimes in our region.
Thurs, Jan 12th – Pray for the men of our church, that God would help them be men of integrity, filled with the Spirit, who set the example by spending time in prayer, worship, and Bible study.
Fri, Jan 13th – Pray for God to provide for you and your family, for our church, and for those who are in need.
Sat, Jan 14th – Pray that God would change lives during our Sun, Jan. 14th Worship Services.
Sun, Jan 15th – Pray for the city leaders and first responders in our cities and communities.
Mon, Jan 16th – Pray for the women of our church, that God would help them be women who are totally committed to following the Lord and serving him and others.
Tues, Jan 17th – Pray for those in our city who do not know Jesus as Lord and Savior.
Wed, Jan 18th – Pray for the Life Groups of our church. Ask God to use them to make disciples of Jesus.
Thurs, Jan 19th – Pray for those who are homeless, who are sick, or who are in prison. Pray for healing and restoration in their lives.
Fri, Jan 20th – Pray for the Social, our youth ministry. Ask God to lead, guide, and direct our teenagers, youth pastors, leaders, and volunteers.
Sat, Jan 21st – Pray for our church Life Group Connection services on Sun, Jan. 22. Ask God to help people connect with the right groups for encouragement and accountability.